Staging for the Future
Supporting Village Theatre’s Endowment
Village Theatre plays a significant role in the theatre ecosystem. We are known regionally and nationally as an incubator of excellent art both on and off the stage. It’s only through your incredible support, partnership, and participation that we have been able to contribute to the cultural vibrancy of the region and establish Village Theatre as a national industry leader. Over the past few years we have been quietly working to build an endowment to sustain our work into the future.
Whether you’ve been giving to the Theatre annually or considering a gift for the first time, we invite you to support the endowment in a way that is meaningful to you.
Here are a few ways our supporters have given to the endowment:
- Cash gifts ranging from $50 on up
- Pledges made over several years
- Established named endowment funds to support a particular program (e.g. The Robb and Kathy Hunt Fund for New Musicals)
- Deferred gifts (in a will, trust, life insurance policy or IRA realized upon your passing)
We hope you’ll consider working with our gift planning staff to explore how you can join this incredible group of supporters and participate in a way that’s meaningful and comfortable to you. Certain types of gifts come with significant tax benefits, and we may be able to offer some new ideas for you to consider with your loved ones and professional advisor(s).
FOR MORE INFORMATION
CALL: (425) 392-1942 x208
Endowments are a natural evolution in the growth and sustainability of an organization. Establishing an endowment fund now sends a signal to our community that we are preparing for the future and building assets for Village Theatre’s long-term sustainability. Endowments have helped preserve some of the nations most treasured cultural centers and play a significant “supporting role” in healthy long-term financial strategy.
Some of the most prominent institutions in the world—arts & cultural organizations, universities, and medical institutions—have thrived and maintained a strong presence in their communities thanks to the lasting power of endowment. We are excited to join the ranks of other great institutions in the Puget Sound region that have enjoyed longevity thanks to endowment support.
Thanks to the power of endowment and time, your gift to Village Theatre will grow each year ultimately producing several times the original value. Our goal is to raise $14 million for permanent investment in this fund. All gifts to the fund will remain intact and a small amount (less than 5%) will be distributed from annual earnings to support Village Theatre programs and operations. All lead donors will enjoy recognition, such as acknowledgement in our playbills throughout the season.
Giving appreciated property, like stocks or bonds, is similar to giving cash in terms of the immediate impact of your gift, but without paying capital gains taxes on the appreciation. You also receive a tax deduction for the full value of the gift. This tax-efficient way of giving allows you to support Village Theatre at a lower cost to you.
A pledge can be made over several years for any gift amount. Consider setting aside a portion of your annual Required Minimum Distribution from your IRA over the next 3-5 years and enjoy the tax benefits.
Gifts in a will or living trust, also known as a charitable bequest, are simple to arrange and remain under your control during life. Your bequest can gift a specific amount, specific property, or a percentage of your estate to Village Theatre.
WHY ESTABLISH AN ENDOWMENT?
- Provide ongoing income to the organization for general operating or designated support
- Create on going security, continuity, and capacity-building opportunities for Village Theatre
- Income generated by the endowment can help an organization weather the difficult years
- Offer opportunities for donors to create a legacy of support to the organization by endowing programs, staff positions, special funds (i.e. Youth Education & Scholarships, New Works, Artistic Endeavors)
Each season Village Theatre employs a team of over 600 talented artisans, educators, and administrators to produce the shows you love and to maintain the highest quality youth programming. Thanks to generous annual donations, that make up 25% of our annual budget, the artform continues.
By supporting the Endowment you are ensuring a healthy future for the Theatre in these key areas:
- The creation of five mainstage productions annually
- World class artistry
- Facility maintenance and growth for our four theatres, artist housing, and production studios and upcoming warehouse
- The ongoing creation of new musicals
- Development of new writers and composers
- The Annual Festival of New Musicals
- Year-round classes and camps
- 11 youth productions annually
- In school workshops