As a Village Theatre Volunteer, you are an ambassador for our programs and the venues we operate. Our ushers are a vital piece of the theatre experience, and the face of the organization. It is important that you bring a positive attitude to your shift, remain polite and courteous, and are available to patrons in need of assistance to guarantee that each guest’s experience is a positive one.
Please read this section over carefully before applying.
1) Volunteers should exhibit professional work habits, including, but not limited to:
- Arriving on time for their shift
- Respond to emails or communications from the House Manager or Department Supervisor in a timely manner
- Follow the required dress code
- Black bottoms
- White tops
- Closed-toe shoes
- Tidy and clean attire that is free of holes and provides adequate coverage
- Remain flexible and responsive to the House Manager’s requests when ushering
- Give 48 hours notice if they are unable to work their shift to allow a replacement to be secured
2) Volunteers will follow health & safety requirements, including, but not limited to:
- Notifying the Front of House Manager if they are ill and NOT coming to the theatre
- Wearing a properly fitting face mask (covering the mouth & nose), if required
- Frequently washing/sanitizing hands
- Maintain a safe social distance from others
3) Volunteers agree to refrain from using strong perfumes/colognes, and maintain good personal hygiene.
Smokers will wash hand prior to shift, and use breath mints, if necessary.
4) Volunteers shall not report for their shift while under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, or legal drugs that could adversely affect his/her ability to perform their ushering duties in a safe and efficient manner.
5) Ushers should be able to follow the directions of the House Manager, and are expected to remain flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties, including specific locations they are assigned to, based on the needs of a given performance.
6) Ushers should be comfortable interacting with the public, including answering questions and proactively approaching patrons in a friendly manner.
7) Ushers are expected to participate fully in all usher activities pre-show, during the performance, at intermission, and the end of the show, as directed by the House Manager.
8) Ushers should familiarize themselves with the seating layout, emergency exits, and procedures prior to their shift, and should be prepared to assist the House Manager in cases of an emergency.
9) Ushers shall refrain from using their cell phone while volunteering (except in the case of an emergency).
10) This application does not guarantee volunteer status, nor is volunteer status guaranteed in perpetuity. Management has the right to dismiss volunteers at any time. Grounds for dismissal include, but are not limited to:
- Failure to comply with the volunteer expectations
- Unlawful activity
- Repeated no-shows or tardiness
- Showing disrespect towards patrons, fellow volunteers, Village Theatre or its staff