Village Theatre Institute is a school-year musical theatre training and exploration program for emerging artists in 5th grade to age 20. This dynamic program is for students interested in training for a future in musical theatre performance and those excited to explore the artform and its many facets. We support individual needs while continuing our anti-racist journey with the focus of creating a community of belonging. “Skills for theatre…skills for life!”. Entry is by audition and/or interview.
Village Theatre Institute is inspired by and rooted in a global array of theatre and performance influences. We value our students’ culture and will embed their stories into the fabric of our program. Institute provides a well-rounded arts education as students learn from the artistic and production side of theatre, as well as the performative. We meet students where they are and help them achieve their artistic goals in all aspects of theatre. Students will learn how to build a safe and brave community and create friendships that will last a lifetime.
- Students are placed according to skill level, age, and personal goals.
- Career Track available for students looking to work professionally. Entry through audition and interview.
- Train in and explore a wide variety of performance genres and expand awareness of all aspects of theatre.
- Designed to provide a continuum of performance and theatre making skills, each building upon the next. Each year and semester offer a different focus.
- Discover and make connections with storytelling and human expression across history and the globe.
- Learn and explore writing, directing, music directing, choreography, and more.
- Cultivate a unique artistic voice.
- Create friendships and a strong community of belonging.
- Connect with professionals in the industry.
- Expand skills and increase confidence in the audition room, the classroom, in interviews, and on the job.
- Develop skills for future career opportunities: collaboration, cultural competency, self-advocacy, public speaking, empathy, and community building.
Village Theatre Institute classes meet September–May from approximately 4:00–9:00pm. Students are placed on one night of programming and grades can vary each year.
- Mondays (grade 9–age 20)
- Tuesdays (grades 7–10)
- Wednesdays (grades 5–9)
- Mondays (grade 8–age 20)
- Tuesdays (grades 6-9)
- Wednesdays (grades 5-9)