Summer Independent Internships
Summer Independent interns are part of a unique program focused on providing an environment for young aspiring theatre professionals to collaborate and produce a musical. Together, the Summer Independent interns produce a full-length musical that is completely directed, designed, managed, performed, and crewed by high school and college aged students. Interns are paired with professional Seattle theatre artists working in their respective disciplines who provide guidance and mentorship. The Summer Independent internships provide access to all Village Theatre facilities and resources for the duration of the summer.
The Summer Independent Internship program includes:
- A customized learning plan
- 20-40 hours per week of hands-on experiential learning
- Direct mentorship by a theatre professional
- A progressive learning experience that can potentially lead to paid positions
- Theatre skills applicable to career opportunities
- The promotion of positive values through art
Internships are available in the following positions. Click on each internship for a description of each intern’s roles, responsibilities, and desired qualifications:
- Technical Direction
- Stage Management
- Assistant Stage Management
- Production Management
Assistant positions are available for all internships, as well as Directing, Music Directing, and Choreography Assistants. All students interested in assistant positions should apply using the Internship Application.
Summer Independent interviews take place starting in January, after the Summer Independent show and team has been selected. Intern applicants are interviewed by the student director, music director, choreographer and/or production manager who were selected to produce the current Summer Independent show, as well as the KIDSTAGE production manager.
This process is designed to teach students how to lead interviews and build skills on hiring team members to build the team they want to work with.
- Applications are accepted beginning November 2nd, 2020 for the 2021 Summer
- All applications for Summer Independent Design and Assistant positions are due April 30, 2021
- Production meetings and design deadlines begin in April, with rehearsals starting in June and performances late July 2021
Summer Independent artistic and design interns receive a weekly stipend, which are designed to reimburse interns for travel to and from the theater. Stipend amounts are determined by position and hours required. Assistant positions are not eligible for a stipend.