Youth Musician Opportunities
KIDSTAGE productions include opportunities for student musicians. KIDSTAGE orchestras contain a combination of student and professional musicians. This program allows students to build relationships and learn from professional musicians who work in local orchestras and at theaters across the Seattle area.
All student musicians should have a strong proficiency in sight reading music and must be available for all performances and musician rehearsals.
KIDSTAGE is currently seeking musicians for our summer productions of Sweeney Todd and The SpongeBob Musical in Issaquah, and Head Over Heels and Disney’s Newsies in Everett. We are looking for the following instruments:
Keyboards (multiple per show)
- Bass Clarinet
- English Horn
- Saxophone (Soprano and Alto)
- Bass (Upright and Electric)
Percussion (various) & Drum Kit
To apply, please fill out the KIDSTAGE Summer Orchestra application below and include a video of you playing your instrument. Audition videos should be 1-2 minutes in length, and ideally are a solo to show off your skills. Your audition piece can be any piece of music.
All musician auditions are due June 1st, 2022.
KIDSTAGE is accepting applications for student musicians on a rolling basis, whether or not there is a show currently in progress.
We strongly recommend at least two years of experience on your instrument(s). Applicants must:
- Be between the ages of 14 and 25
- Have the ability to sight read music
- Have a strong work ethic and the ability to learn an entire score outside of scheduled music rehearsals
- Be in possession of, or have access to, their instrument that they can transfer to the space for rehearsals and performances. Piano/keyboard is the only exception.
Musicians over the age of 18 are eligible for a cost-reimbursement stipend, designed to cover travel expenses to and from the theatre. Musicians under the age of 18 are volunteer positions only.
To apply, please complete the youth orchestra application. You’ll need the following information:
- A resume of previous orchestra and/or musician performance experience
- Dates of availability at the time of submitting. We recognize your availability may change if KIDSTAGE currently has no performing shows at the time of your application.
- Two videos showcasing your musicianship on your instrument. If possible, please include one video playing from a musical theatre score.
- Videos may be home recordings, solos at a concert, or public performances. Please make sure you are the primary soloist in each video.
- If you play more than one instrument, please submit one video for each instrument instead of two per instrument.
Skills for Theatre… Skills for Life
To provide a personal development program for young people which uses theatre arts:
- To teach creativity and responsibility
- To encourage teamwork and personal integrity
- To foster self-esteem and appreciation for live theatre
Everyone benefits from an inclusive, multi-cultural environment of students, staff and programming. We welcome people of every ethnicity, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, income and ability.