KIDSTAGE Zoom into Summer
Join us for live, interactive ONLINE Summer Camps that build “Skills for Theatre … Skills for Life!” Discover your creativity, make friends, and collaborate. KIDSTAGE campers use their imaginations, innovate, and gain storytelling skills and confidence. Small class sizes ensure a superior experience, so don’t wait to sign up!
What students and parents about KIDSTAGE online classes…
- “So much Fun! It went by SO fast, I wish it was longer!”
- “I loved it!”
- “I had no idea that my daughter could love an online class that much. It was just what she needed.”
- “The instructors give the kids so many fun and creative things to do!”
- “He doesn’t get zoomed-out during a KIDSTAGE class!”
In order to keep our Zoom meetings secure and to ensure students’ safety while using Zoom, KIDSTAGE staff are trained to follow best practices for securing our classrooms.
These best practices include, but are not limited to:
- E-mail invitation, Meeting ID, & password are required to participate in meetings
- A KIDSTAGE staff person will be the administrator of each class and a staff person or teaching artist will be in each breakout room
- All video guests enter a “Waiting Room” and the hosts (KIDSTAGE staff) manually accept guests to enter the meeting
- Zoom’s new “Security” button provides immediate tech support help
- Students agree not to share links or record sessions for any purpose
- Village Theatre staff may record each class for safety purposes. Video clips of classes may be used for marketing purposes.
Theatre is a live and interactive art form that depends on collaboration and connection. And we are still providing young people with opportunities to create, express themselves and connect with peers in a safe ONLINE environment.
KIDSTAGE online classes are ENGAGING because we focus on:
- Active Engagement: I Our online theatre classes are designed to engage the whole body and mind, and to stimulate creativity in students.
- Exceptional Teaching ARTISTS: KIDSTAGE instructors bring inspiration and innovation to online instruction methods and activities, and are using the Zoom room in new and exciting ways.
- STEAM (Science Technology Engineering Arts Math) Skills: Students blend performance art with technology. Strong storytelling using digital media is a necessary skill in today’s technological age.
- Youth Culture: Positive online youth culture is celebrated and integrated into class.
- Time to shine: Every student gets a chance to be centerstage without interruption.
- Space: We give students opportunities to move about their room.
- Leadership: Students build leadership skills by sharing their technical expertise and collaborating to create an engaging online environment.
- Friendships: Time is provided to hang out with new friends.
- No Commuting Stress: Anyone from anywhere can take a class!
- Creativity: Our online classes bring fun and creativity to your home!
KIDSTAGE live, interactive online summer camps build “Skills for Theatre…Skills for Life!” Students will discover their creativity, make friends and collaborate. KIDSTAGE summer camps foster youth voice, storytelling skills and confidence.
- Our online classes are 100% live and interactive.
- KIDSTAGE Teaching Artists bring a creative and stimulating approach to online teaching.
- Curriculum and activities are designed and tested to be effective in the Zoom room.
- Instructor and staff training ensures the safety and quality of each class.
- A KIDSTAGE staff person is in the class alongside the instructor(s) to ensure safety and technical support. See “Zoom Safety Statement” for details.
- We understand the technological challenges in regards to music synchronicity and have techniques to create successful musical theatre experiences.
- Small class sizes and use of breakout rooms foster collaboration, community and belonging.
- Free social hour from noon to 1pm with KIDSTAGE Staff provides an opportunity to hang out with new friends or do activities together. As always, KIDSTAGE puts an emphasis on Social Emotional Learning, helping our students develop emotional intelligence.
KIDSTAGE encourages learning through active participation and emphasizes community building and social emotional skills. We use teaching methods that build creative problem-solving skills that develop grit, growth mindset and empathy.
A few examples of the engaging activities students may experience in our online classes:
- Connection and community building activities: ice breakers and get-to-know-you games, spirit days, dress up days, scavenger hunts, and video creation.
- Exercises that build focus and concentration: mindful moments, quick thinking games like Sound and Word Ball, and fun improv games.
- Project-based learning in small groups: create choreography in a breakout room to share and teach to the other students, create scenes together, write songs, create a news report about your characters in quarantine.
- Storytelling : develop new characters and scenes, learn the basics of storytelling (like CROW and 7-part story structure).
- Scene work: character and scene analysis, cold reads with the class.
- Improvisation (Improv): play games like Taxi, Park Bench and Freeze.
- Youth Culture: activities inspired by digital media like videos and memes.
- STEAM challenges: design a set, create a puppet, explore the physics of dance, use nature or a scientific concept to help create a character.
- Presentations: feel the performance rush during sharings for the class. Musical Theatre: learn story-telling through song and choreography.
- Social, unstructured time: Students are given time to develop friendships and hang out with new friends.
What if my child doesn’t want to participate in an exercise?
Sometimes a student wants to take a break, observe as an audience member or try something without being seen by other students. This is easy in our online classes. Students will be allowed to turn off their cameras and participate in an exercise without being seen or to watch an exercise with their camera on or off.
- Internet connection.
- Dedicated phone/tablet/computer for student during class time.
- Device should have working speaker(s) and microphone. Or you can use headphones with an integrated microphone.
- It is easier to see all of your classmates, when using a computer.
- Many school districts are allowing students to retain loaned equipment through the summer. Check with your school.
- Village Theatre may have some equipment to loan. Please reach out to us if you require a device for your student.
- It is helpful to download the Zoom app, but you can just use the web client also.
- Get familiar with Zoom functions before class begins:
- Gallery/Speaker view
- Video on/off
- Hide participants with video off
- Changing screen name (use student first and last name – often students log in under parent account)
- Raise hand/thumbs up/clap reactions
- Chat window
- Get familiar with Zoom functions before class begins:
- Space to move that has good lighting so we can see you.
- Headphones with built in microphones are nice, but not required.
- Class materials will be made available via email or web links. You may print at home or refer to them on-screen if you do not have access to a printer.
- Crafts are planned to use supplies most families will already have at home.
Skills for Theatre… Skills for Life
To provide a personal development program for young people which uses theatre arts:
- To teach creativity and responsibility
- To encourage teamwork and personal integrity
- To foster self-esteem and appreciation for live theatre
Village Theatre KIDSTAGE believes that everyone benefits from an inclusive, multi-cultural environment of students, staff and programming. We welcome people of every ethnicity, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, income and ability.